Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The latest with me...

I have been meaning to update on the latest happenings with me, but haven't had a chance to sit down and write!  Many of you know that my sister, Ginger, passed away a few years ago from something called Long QT syndrome (you can click to read about it).  My sister, Brandi, was tested a while back to see if she had the genetic mutation that can cause LQT because it is very hereditary.  She tested positive and so did her son, Dane (2).  We have all (my parents and siblings) been in the process of getting tested over the past several months.  I finally got my results and found out that I am positive as well.  So far, three of us sisters are positive, two siblings are negative and the rest are still waiting to hear.  Because I tested positive I now need to have my children tested as well.    

I have been prescribed beta blockers which I will now take for the rest of my life.   Beta blockers slow the heart rate and make the dangerous rhythm associated with Long QT less likely.  And they also make me tired!  But, that is supposed to get better after a week or so.   I have been restricted from using alarm clocks now as well. There is something with being awakened by a loud noise from a deep sleep that can cause the heart to beat so fast that it can cause death.  (We think this possibly could have happened to Ginger since it was around 6am on a Sunday morning.  She would have been getting up to get ready for her morning of getting herself and 4 kids ready for church.)   

My doctor said I could keep exercising the same as I have been... basketball, running, etc....for now.  That might change as they learn more.  Now to the tricky part.  Many doctors suggest that patients with Long QT get an ICD or implantable cardioverter defibrillator, which is surgically inserted into your chest under the skin.   I went to see an Electrophysiologist on Friday to get his opinion.  He said that... considering my age of 35 (the dangerous years are teenage to 30 in females), that I have had no symptoms, and my QT interval on the EKG is on the border.... my risk is low, and that whether or not to get an ICD is entirely up to me.  He said that if I wanted to get one, no one in the professional world would bat an eye at that because of what happened to Ginger and the fact that I tested positive for this mutation.  He also said that if I decided not to get one, that everyone would understand that as well, because my risk is on the low side.  Then he said that HIS professional opinion...since I have 5 children and he would always err on the side of caution...is that I should get one, just because you never know what can happen.  My first symptom could be death.  Harsh, but true.     But, he said that Don and I need to discuss it, pray about it (I told him that is what we would be doing) and do what we feel is right for me.  I haven't made a decision yet, as this is such a huge decision, so we are taking our time.  Thinking about it (constantly) and praying about it.  So glad that Don is doing this with me.   The ICD would be surgically implanted and then every 7 yrs they have to surgically open your chest to change the battery as well.  After surgery you can't lift anything over 10 lbs. or raise your arm for 6 weeks.  Doesn't sound too fun, huh?  BUT, if something happened and I had the defibrillator, I would be fine.  We will eventually have to decide if our kids will need it as well (those who are positive).  

This is all very new to me and hard to explain so I hope you understood all of that.  It is a learning process.  I am just so glad I have a couple of sisters to take this road with me!  And so grateful for priesthood blessings, the temple, and the Holy Ghost that have brought so much peace.  Don and I really do feel so much peace.  

13 comments:

Mishqueen said...

*stare*

blink

*stare*

blink, blink

I'm not convinced I just read what I thought I read. Maybe I'll come back tomorrow and try reading it again.

blink, with sad face...

Anonymous said...

Wow, Heidi, that is a lot to consider. I hope that you will be blessed with a clear answer. I will be praying for you and your family during this fast weekend. Best wishes to you all.

dotti white said...

Heidi...I love you so much! The love that you have shines forth so brightly and I know that you and Don will make the right decision. My prayers are ever with you and all of your darling family1 Please kiss them for me...except for Don...a hug will do there! :)

Keri and Neal said...

Man life is messy! Never a dull moment. Heidi, I am so shocked but I know that it will all work out how it is suppose to. I will keep you and your siblings in my prayers and in my fast. Love you.

Randi said...

Wow, Heidi, that is a lot to swallow! You and your family will definitely be in my prayers. May the Lord continue to watch over and protect you and I hope more than anything that you will continue to be able to live the active life you are use to living. Man I wish I could come give you a big hug right now. Miss ya tons!

Tina said...

Heidi! I'm too emotional to even know what to say. I just kept waiting for the April Fool's line. I've recently had a crash course on beta blockers and dangerous heart rhthyms. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. So scary and stressful. I love you guys and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

If it wasn't 10:30pm, your time, you know your phone would be ringing....maybe tomorrow. :)

Mike & Lila Family said...

i certainly understand the contemplation of what to do. I know you will make a good decision for you and your family. I really appreciate your detail and explaination. I have been facinated with long qt since gingers unexpected passing. I am happy to hear the entire z's (and etc) are being tested so you can learn how to prevent another loved one falling to it's consequence. :/ i will pray for you both to feel peace in the decision you make. we love you and hope you live and long, happy and healthy life on this earth with you children. :) xoxo

Mandy said...

I'm sorry that you have to go through thus difficult process. Just know you have many friends who love and admire you and who will be praying for you :) Christian and I are just two of them.

MEB said...

I love you Heidi! I can only imagine the thoughts, feelings and emotions you all are going through. You are in my prayers! Hang in there and take care of yourself.

Sarah said...

Not long before Ginger died, I watched "The Mysterious Human Heart" series on PBS. One of the episodes dealt with Long QT syndrome and, though I had never heard about it, I learned a lot about it. It featured a guy who almost lost his life during a pool game when his heart lost its normal rhythm. Luckily, one of his friends was an EMT. He went on to have the pacemaker.

I'm including the link to the series. I don't know if it's something you are interested in watching, but the program is remarkably well-done and is very easy to understand without it having been "dumbed down."

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/heart/episode2/index.html

It's by far one of the best program I've ever watched on the heart before. All of the parts were amazing, but this one ended up being especially meaningful to me when I heard the news about Ginger.
It's also an easy way to share the info with friends and family in a way they can understand and learn quickly without overwhelming them with medical terminology.

Again, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sarah

Unknown said...

Heidi, We will keep you guys in our prayers. I can't imagine loosing a sibling and I'm guessing you never ever stop missing her. I also can't imagine learning that what took her could take another family member.... sometimes life just doesn't seem fair and our bodies are never suppose to fail on us :( I hope your kids all come back squeaky clean from their QT test.

Brenda said...

Heidi, thank you so much for your comment on my blog. I was so happy to see that you had a blog as well and as I read this post I was even more grateful that I found it. I'm grateful because now I can add you to my prayers. I will pray that you will continue to feel peace as your family is tested and as you decide what to do. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Sabina said...

Heidi, you are so incredibly amazing. I am praying for you already and I know that you are going about making your decision the right way, and the Lord will help you know what to do.
I have totally enjoyed reading your blog tonight and getting caught up on your family... you all still look fantastic and I'm sure everyone's as sweet as ever. Miss you guys a lot. We're coming to WA this summer - any chance you'll be there too?
Love you LOTS!
Sabina