Saturday, August 2, 2008

Davis' Baptism Day


Yes, my baby boy turned eight years old and was baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints by his dad. What is it about being baptized that makes your children seem so grown-up? It's hard to believe we have three baptized children now. That really makes me feel old!


Davis was lucky to be baptized with three of his friends from his Primary class; Zachary, Lucas, and Natalie. And he was so happy to have so many members of his family there in attendance, Grandma and Grandpa, Uncle Steve and Aunt Stacy, Uncle Scott and Aunt Karen, Uncle Craig and Aunt Krisette, and lots and lots of cousins.

It was a happy day for our family, but a little sad for me, too. The passing of my sister was still so fresh it was hard to be really happy that day. The Baptism room was jam packed full of people, with standing room only. But, during the opening song, I noticed the chair right next to me was empty, the only empty chair in the room because Ryan had decided to share a chair with her cousin down the row. In my mind's eye I could see my sister, Ginger, sitting there right beside me, telling me she was there with me and reminding me to be happy and rejoice that my son was taking such a vital step in his journey back to our Heavenly Father. My eyes overflowed with tears and I felt so comforted and happy. It was a tender and sweet experience for me.

11 comments:

Monica said...

Congratulations to Davis and you guys!! It won’t be long and he’ll be passing the Sacrament, receiving his Eagle award, driving, going to college, mission, temple, etc. Time flies when you're raising a family.

Love and miss you.

Rod and Monica and R,J,N,B,C,G

Randi said...

Wow, I can't believe he's 8 already. It seems like just yesterday that he was hanging around at basketball with all the little kids and I thought he was your oldest. Then I heard you tell somebody you had 5 kids and I was in total shock! You still don't look old enough to me, so you definately shouldn't feel old! :) I love the pictures with Davis and his Dad in white. Doesn't that just bring the best feelings?!

Tina said...

It was so fun that Natalie could share in Davis's fun day. That really was a great baptism day (even with the cold water). The spirit was so strong...I think Ginger's passing was so fresh in a lot of people's mind.

And if you are old, what does that make me??

summerk said...

Congrats to Davis-boy! I can't believe he's 8!

Heids, I love that the seat next to you was empty; of course Ginge was there... now that makes me want to always make sure there's an empty chair next to me for special events so she can sit with me... so sweet.

Love you, Heids!

Lila said...

what a sweet post. Congratulations Davis! You are so special to be able to be baptised by your dad. It is exciting to be one of the newest members of the church and can now be a great example to your younger sister and brother. I am really proud of you. I hope you had a wonderful day. smile.
Heidi, I think you are right on. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your sons day, with Ginger. :)

Brigette Little said...

Hey, Spangers! We just found your blog after clicking through some links from old Moorpark friends. I was so sorry to hear about Ginger. She got married right before we moved away and I remember how happy and beautiful she was - made everyone around her happy! Congrats to Davis - our Isaac was just baptized in May. Can't believe they're 8 already! We have a blog at littlelowdown.blogspot.com if you'd like to catch up sometime. Greg and Brigette Little

Hazel said...

Donny, it's tom, your family looks great (they look like you). It was good to talk to you. You can see my family @ my wifes blog:

http://morganfamily6.blogspot.com/

My sisters blogs are, becky (nish), amy (thurston), erin (beck), jenny (esplin), sara (straw..sir?) there are links to their blogs, follow their links and you'll find more people you know.

Good luck with everything.

Kate said...

What an exciting day for your family! THanks for sharing your thoughts. I know Ginger was there for your special moment with your son. You guys are such a cute family! I don't even have kids and I feel old because my youngest brother will be returning from his mission soon. Crazy how life just keeps flying by.

Kristi said...

What a sweet day, and experience to have. Congrats to your family, on another baptism. Keep up the good work!!

MEB said...

Congratulations to Davis! What an exciting day. I can't believe you're old enough to have 3 baptized children. :) Where does the time go?
Thanks for sharing that experience about Ginger. I am sure she was right there beside you. Definitely a tender mercy from the Lord.

Johnson Family said...

I love the pictures of you and your cute family on Davis' baptism day and at the temple, especially the family picture with Ethan and his untucked shirt. He's so adorable! You've got to love those little boys.
Congratulations to Davis on being baptized. I'm glad it was a special day for all of you.