Friday, November 7, 2008

Our Birthday week


Tomorrow is my 33rd birthday. I'm not trying to announce it so everyone can shower me with gifts, just thinking out loud as I anticipate my first birthday without my sister, Ginger. Ginger's birthday is on the 13th so we share the same week (and Brandi's, our younger sister, is on the 12th). Two of my last three birthdays I have spent with Ginger and our husbands in Hawaii and Mexico. This year we were going to go to Cancun or maybe Honduras. (Thankfully, we hadn't booked the trip yet. Another tender mercy.) I remember in Hawaii, Ginger surprised with a beautiful fresh flower lei to wear on my birthday, then we went to get massages together...her treat! I can still remember Ginger's face as she realized that she would be getting a man to give her the massage. Hilarious! She immediately told him that she prefered a woman and although this young man tried to convince her that he was "good", she insisted on a woman and was accomodated. We cracked up about it all day. This year, Ginge is actually treating me to a massage again! She called me on my birthday last year (of course) and knew how sad I was that Don was on a business trip on my birthday and how I was struggling with the dark and dreary winter and told me that she opened an account for me at a really nice salon right here in town and that I could go whenever I wanted and get whatever I wanted! That was so Ginger. So generous and spontaneous and thoughtful. Well, did I ever go get it? No! Life got crazy with the holidays and trips and my husband's travel and it seemed I never had the time to indulge. After she passed away I realized I still had this gift and that I would save it for my birthday this year. Don't know how I am going to make it through without bawling, but it will definitely be a special gift from my sister on my birthday!

14 comments:

Tina said...

Yea! I get to be first to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HEIDI!

I hope you find some time to indulge...you SO deserve some pampering. And everyone needs a good cry on their birthday, too, right?

You are so blessed to have so many incredible memories of your sister to treasure and to help you when you miss her.

Have a great day, Heidi. I'm glad you reminded me to shower you with gifts. ;) I'll see you later.

summerk said...

Happy Birthday, Heids! I didn't know that... that you have that to enjoy from Ginge on your birthday! Another little miracle! I hope you're able to do it without crying... maybe save that for later. You're the best! Love you!!!! You should be getting a card in the mail from me, hopefully today!! :)

I'll be calling you sometime today, too.

Johnson Family said...

Happy Birthday Heidi! I hope it is a special day for you and that you are reminded that you are loved my many, especially Ginger.

Jason said...

Happy B-day Heids! We love you so much! I love your posts and your emails. It's always good to read your thoughts and feelings, especially about Ginger. It makes me happy to know how much a part of her life you were. She had a good life, due in large part to your relationship with her. Thanks for being a great big sister to her and a great little sister to me. We both look up to you and your incredible example. You rule! I might call you today, a major break from tradition.

Love Jason

MEB said...

Happy Birthday Heidi! What a neat post and how wonderful you get a gift from Ginger this year! I know she too is thinking of you today.

Randi said...

Happy birthday Heidi! How great that you still get to experience a great gift from your sister. You deserve it!

Melanie said...

I hope you have a great birthday. It is amazing to see the tender mercies that we receive when we are least expecting them. Thanks for sharing.

Us! said...

Happy Birthday, Heidi!! Enjoy your wonderful massage as you dream about your memories with Ginger! Have a fantastic day!!

jenbulkley said...

Happy Birthday to you, Ging and Brandi!

Katrina, Kyle and Family said...

Happy Birthday Heidi!

I hope you enjoy your massage. Have a wonderful day! You are the best.

Annelise said...

Happy birthday Heidi. I was thinking that Ginger's birthday was coming up this week, but I couldn't remember the exact day. I hope that you had a good day and that you enjoy the massage. We ALL are missing Ginger a lot and I am thinking and praying for all of you still... I know you hear it all the time, but I do hope it helps to know that so many people love you guys and are thinking about you.

Lila said...

happy belated birthday, i hope you went ahead with the massage and enjoyed it. i hope it helped to heal many things. you are a wonderful sister, mother, daughter, aunt, etc...

Kate said...

Happy Birthday! I am thinking of you and your family a lot today. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Happy Birthday to you, Brandi and Ginger! :)

Kristi said...

This comment is coming a little late for Happy Birthday, but Happy Birthday anyway. What a cute picture of you and Ginger. You have so many sweet memories together.