Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Great Race....

Last year, my sister, Ginger, ran her first 5k in The Agoura Great Race and inspired coutless others to get in shape and start running, too. After she passed away last July, a group of her friends decided they would honor her by running this year and even created T-shirts in her memory. I don't think they realized how many would want to participate, but it has turned into a huge event. Don and I will be leaving for CA tomorrow to run with so many of our family and friends. I am anxious to be surrounded by so many loved ones, and know it will be an emotionally exhausting weekend, but healing at the same time. I don't know if I'll run or walk, but I do know that Ginger will be there with me, cheering me on!

My brother posted this comment on Ginger's blog a couple of months after she passed away. It made me cry. It was so inspired and it's interesting to think about how her run in the Great Race was similar to her time on earth. She was 30 years old when she past away, and ran the 5k in 30 minutes. He said, "Ginge, you ran a great race and you finished at 30 (at least this leg of the race). You didn't let anyone hold you back, but you definitely helped countless others along your way. You broke the tape first in our family and we look forward to seeing you when we cross the line and giving you a huge Ginger-style victory hug on the other side of the finish line. Until then, we know you will be watching us, cheering us on." She definitely is.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling Heidi,
This morning I woke up thinking about you and wondering how you're all doing today. I thought with regret of all the times I had driven past the turn-off to your street and hadn't taken the opportunity to run by for a quick visit. (Sigh) But it makes me so happy to know that your family gets to be together again and that you have found a happy, sunny place to spend that new-found time together. We, of course, miss you like crazy, but we'll be cheering you on this weekend as you run in honor of your sister. Hug your family for me. Mom

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for a great trip and a great run.

Johnson Family said...

What a wonderful opportunity you have to be with all those who know and love Ginger! She'll definately be cheering you on no matter if you run or walk.
I'm so glad all of you are well and finally have a house to live in.
You and Ginger will be in my thoughts this weekend, as you often are.
Take Care,
Shannon

summerk said...

Beautiful. I didn't know Jase had written that.
I wish I could be there to run with you! Love you, Heids!

John and Laura said...

What a sweet thing you are doing for your sister. Hope you have a great trip. Are you taking your kids with you?

Melanie said...

My heart is with you this weekend. I hope that you do feeling the Healing hand of the Lord this weekend with your family. What a wonderful legacy Ginger left in such a short time here. Love to all of you.

Jaimee said...

That sounds awesome...If you guys have time while your in CA give us a call. Mike and I would love to see you guys.

Lila said...

thank you and thanks to jason for that very appropriate observation. tear...
love you heidi. *hugs*

Tina said...

What a beautiful comment and insight.

I thought about you that morning as I was renting white knee hi's in the AZ temple...That was the only way I could have kept up with you that day. :)

How did it go?

Emily B. said...

Wow, look at all the posting you've done recently! I hope you post some pictures of the race soon! I think I'm in love with your little son Ethan. He is so darn cute. I saw him today at church whisper to Don, "that baby is Graydon." For some reason, that was so sweet to me! We love your family! You need to stop by.

angie and graham said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope you had a wonderful time remembering Ginger. What a great tribute to her!