Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Day in Destin

Thanksgiving Day was our last day in Destin, FL.  (We had to leave the next day so I could have Saturday to unpack and get organized before living at the church for a week during the Nativity Exhibit.)  We really packed it in on our last day and it was definitely not your typical Thanksgiving Day.  

Although we had the most beautiful warm weather all week long, this day turned quite chilly.  So, we spent most of the morning in the hot tub.....until Don challenged the family to "The Ultimate Polar Bear".    The kids were all over it.  I decided to stay behind the camera, or in other words, stay warm!  

Straight from the hot tub, you run to the beach and roll around in the sand...


then run into the ocean and you must go all the way under...



then rinse off in the showers...



swim across the coooold pool...



jump into the kiddie pool...



swim across the warm pool...



then your back, safe and warm, in the hot tub.  Phew!



Well, I thought I was off the hook, but Don and the kids kept pressuring me to do it and I couldn't say no!  I actually did the Ultimate Polar Bear!  And it was cold.  But really fun.  The few people on the beach looked at us like we were crazy.  We were definitely a spectacle rolling around in the sand!

It was time to leave the beach for good and head up for Thanksgiving dinner.  The kids caught one last look of the beautiful view from the balcony.  


With 7 people helping, we whipped our feast together in no time.  Everyone had an assignment and it all turned out beautiful and delicious.  (Yes, that's just a boneless turkey from Costco, and no, those are not homemade rolls.  Our focus was just on being together and not slaving away all day.  Although that is fun, too)





Looks picture perfect, huh?  Don't worry.  Within 2 minutes I spilled my drink all over everything, including Don's lap.  Oops.  





After dinner we just started snapping pictures.  I was trying to get one of Ginger, but the boys jumped in and this one ended up being one of my favorites!


Me and Gingey


Me and Gilli



So, then I wanted to get a picture of Ginger and Gillian and they could NOT sit still or stop laughing!  Silly girls.  





I finally got one!  But, I actually love the other ones, too:)



It was a wonderful, memorable Thanksgiving Day.  How grateful I am for my little family. 





No comments: