Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My little "Wheat Thin"




That's what we like to call him. A few months ago, a group of my friends got together and started a preschool for our little ones. I was excited for the opportunity to host it in my home every once in a while and to allow Ethan one morning each week to be with children his age, while learning and having fun in the process. Before it even started I was almost positive that Ethan would have a hard time going. He is super shy and only knew a couple of the kids in the group. But, I thought I'd give it a shot and see how he did. The first day all the moms stayed with their children, and Ethan was quite clingy. He talked about "pre-school" all week long, making sure he would get to go again, and making sure that I'd be staying. The next week I did stay as the helper, but the third week, he actually went on his own and didn't even cry! I was so excited and so was he. Well, this was right around the time that we found out we'd be moving and life started to spiral out of control. I knew I had to drop some things or I'd just go insane, expecially with my husband traveling so much and trying to keep my home "ready to show" at all times. Pre-school was unfortunately one of those things that had to go. I figured Ethan only had a month or so before we moved anyway and I wanted to give someone else a chance to take his place as early as possible. I told my friends and then broke the news to Ethan. This was one of those moments you never forget because you feel like the worst mother in the whole world. I really didn't think he'd be upset about not getting to go anymore, but when I told him he wouldn't be going to "school" anymore, he just stared at me for a second, then his lower lip and chin started to quiver and he barely spoke as he said, "But Mom, I really wanted to go to pre-school".
Then the tears began, for both of us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were really sad to see him go, but it was nice that Kyle got to join us. I hope Ethan gets a chance next year.

Tina said...

Ahhh...that is the saddest story. I can totally hear his little voice saying that.

But you know you're the best mother in the whole world, right?

John and Laura said...

That's breaks my heart. :(

Randi said...

okay, thanks a lot for bringing tears to my eyes. We miss you both!

MEB said...

Poor baby. He is so sweet. Hopefully he'll get to go next year.