Monday, May 14, 2012

Making Memories

It started out as any typical Monday night in our house...our family had gathered for Family Home Evening, a night set aside by our church leaders to make our families a priority and instruct and learn from one another...and to have fun!  Ethan had just taught a lesson on the Priesthood.  We sang the closing song.  It was my turn to choose the activity this week.  We were going to go outside and make ginormous bubbles with Don's homemade bubble concoction that he found on the internet.  But, during the closing song we heard this crazy sound.  It was rain that came out of nowehere.  And it was POURING.  It had to be close to 75 degrees outside and the sun was still shining.  Do I dare allow my kids to get their good clothes wet?  If I choose this to be the activity do I have to join them as well?  Do I really want to deal with the aftermath of sopping wet bodies and clothes coming in my house?  These thoughts ran through my head as my family looked at me in anticipation of what our activity would be.  I said, "Let's go run in the rain!"  The boys and Ryan immediately jumped up with me and followed me straight out the back door.  Ginger and Gillian were dumbfounded and wondering if they should change into swimsuits.  Don said no and they immediately all joined us outside.  It was really pouring!   


I was done after about 3 minutes because I get cold very easily.  I suggested we all go inside and pile into the Master jetted bath tub in our clothes.  The kids were not ready to be done.  They wanted to go visit families/friends in the neighborhood!  It took everything in me to go along with that one.  I am usually the party pooper but I knew this would be a memory that my family wouldn't soon forget.   We just started running crazy and barefoot through the front yard and down the street, splashing in puddles and cracking up. The kids absolutely loved it.  


Our friends weren't home so we ran all the way back home.  People driving by gave strange looks.  I am pretty sure they had no idea that we were a conservative family out for some good, clean fun.  They probably just saw a group of crazy kids and were appalled.  haha
When we got home I had to grab the camera and I'm so glad I did!  I love these pictures!!  
And I love my little family. 

No comments: