Monday, September 8, 2008

In Memory...

When we returned from my sister, Ginger's, Memorial Service, Don's parents came over and brought us a beautiful tree for us to plant in Ginger's name. I was so touched by this sweet gesture. We were anxious to plant it, but knew that we would probably be moving some time soon and didn't want to plant it in our yard and then have to leave it there. So, we asked Don's parents if we could plant it in their yard, knowing that their lives were a bit more stable than ours. And we knew we would always be back to visit them so we would get to see the tree grow and thrive.


It was a sweet experience for me to see my husband and children each take their turns to dig the hole. It began to get dark before we were finished digging, so Don sent us all into the house and finished it himself. I remember peeking through the window to check on his progress only to find him sitting beside the tree just weeping.


I love to see that tree each time I go to Don's parents home and know that it is alive and thriving, just as Ginger still is.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

What did you do to your knee? The tree is such a great thing. I am glad that you had the foresight to plant it where you could visit it often.

Tina said...

What a great idea! That image you painted of Bishop weeping by this little tree is now burned in my mind. My heart still aches for you guys.

But aren't you SO glad to be rid of that brace! Maybe it can be a nice reminder of things broken but healing.

Oh yeah...I sincerely hope you visit that tree OFTEN.