Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First day of School and Derek!

Yes, I am just now posting my first day of school pictures! I am trying to catch up, okay?


The kids were very excited for their first day back as always...the new backpacks and pencils, shoes, and lunch boxes. Everything was so clean and nice! Ginger was starting 6th grade, Gillian 5th, Davis 3rd, and Ryan Jane was my little 1st grader! I was happy to be keeping my 3 year old Ethan home with me, debating whether or not I would be doing a co-op preschool with him. That first day back was so sad for him. He was Davis' little buddy all summer long and sure missed him. It hadn't even been an hour before he started asking if it was time to pick up the kids. Then he proceeded to ask every 5 minutes for the rest of the day. Poor kid. Several times during the day he would head upstairs for a minute, then be back down. I had wondered what he was doing, but didn't find out until I went into the boy's room and found one peanut butter cracker and one pretzel on Davis' pillow. At first I was mad that Ethan had been eating in his room and had even dropped some of his snack, but then realized he had purposely placed them there. When I asked him about it, he said, "I'm saving them for my brother". So sweet!
The kids woke up that first day of school to Uncle Derek! Derek is my youngest brother who currently lives in Utah. He had come into town for a few days for a visit and the kids were so sad to be leaving him for the day, even if they were anxious to start school.
We had so much fun with Derek here. We packed in the fun, probably exhausting Derek in the process. We took him on a ferry ride into Seattle and spent the day at Pike's Market. He came out to eat with us on our traditional first day of school dinner out. He was here for our Stake Conference and even taught our Family Home Evening lesson for us on Monday night, which was inspiring and sweet. We have missed Derek so much and absolutely loved having him all to ourselves. I just had no idea how much that boy could eat!


We also took Derek to the BYU game against the University of Washington. It was an incredible, exciting game and a beautiful day as well. The game got tight there at the end, but BYU came out victorious! Stacy, Steve, his dad, and our friends, Danielle and TJ, joined us, too. Ah, the good 'ole days at BYU!

3 comments:

Tina said...

Ahh! What a great back-to-school picture. My boys were the same way...just lost without the older kids there. Ethan is SO sweet.

I love that picture of Stacy!

Sabina said...

Heidi,
I am reading your blog and just crying. You are so good at capturing your feelings and being so positive. We leave this morning for Utah and it's just so bittersweet. Your post about Derek helped me, though - I think I've probably forgotten how nice it is to be around my family. I'm so close to them; I know it'll be great. I'll miss you so much, but good luck in TX and please keep in touch!

Paul and Natalie McB said...

Oh I miss it there! These pictures in Seattle make me a little home sick:(