Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Adventure Begins....

After telling the kids that we would be in a hotel for Christmas and maybe even New Year's, Davis burst into tears. Poor little boy. I wanted to burst into tears, too. But we all decided to make an adventure out of it and make it a memory we would never forget. And that's just what we did. Thank goodness I have the world's most optimistic, positive person for a husband who was so good about making everything fun and spontaneous. He immediately broke out papers and crayons and put us all to work to decorate our room for Christmas. We covered the walls with pictures of stockings, wreaths, Christmas trees, and baby Jesus beneath the star. Ryan's teacher had given her a fiber optic Christmas tree that stood about one foot tall when she heard we would have to be in a hotel for a few days before Christmas. Little did she know that it would serve as our actual Christmas tree to place presents under and light up our room at night. Each night before bed, we would dim the lights, turn on the tiny tree and gather for scripture study. We talked about Mary and Joseph and how they hadn't planned to be in a stable, just as we hadn't planned to be in a hotel for Christmas. They were discussions that my children will never forget.


Here we are in our hotel room where we lived for 12 days. Don was definitely inspired to choose this hotel which had a kitchenette, a complimentary breakfast every morning, and complimentary dinner Monday through Thursday night! That not only saved us a whole lot of $, but saved me all the hassle and headache of trying to shop and plan dinner every night, with only a stove and a microwave.


Don's boss and co-workers took such great care of us when they heard of our predicament. Don's boss told him to let the kids pick a place they never get to go and dinner was on him! The kids picked Cheesecake Factory and were in hog heaven. I don't know about your kids, but my children don't get to eat out at nice restaraunts very often. They were thrilled to get to order a drink instead of water, dinner off the adult menu, AND cheesecake for dessert. It was a great night that the kids will always remember. And it was a great break from the hotel dinners!


I forgot to mention that during this whole adventure, Gillian got sick on our last day on the road and was quite ill for about 4 days. It was not fun for her to be sick and stuck in a hotel bed for that long.

7 comments:

John and Laura said...

I was so excited to see you had new posts up. It made me happy to see your cute family, and I cried reading about your home dilemma. What a trying time for all of you. I'm glad that part is over. I love you and miss you all.

Tifany said...

Holy smokers! You guys are amazing, you know that?! You made the best out of what you had. I'll bet your family will remember this Christmas experience forever. I'm glad you were able to turn it into a teaching moment, too!

I'm glad you're finally in a home. I miss you. Girls' Lunch just won't be the same without you:( I miss your smile, so I'm grateful to be able to read your blog! Thanks!

Jessica said...

hey- cute blog. thanks for letting ginger babysit last night!

Melanie said...

So, where did you end up? Is that a picture of the "almost house" OR is it the real thing? I am dying to hear more:)

Laura said...

Heidi,
Your family is beautiful. All of your adventures just give your family more wonderful memories. I hope you are loving your house. I think about you all of the time and hope that your family is healing. Laura Waite

Katrina, Kyle and Family said...

I was so excited to see all of your new posts. You certainly have been busy. I am sorry to hear about your house problems. It looks like you made the best of it like you always do. What wonderful memories you will have of your first Christmas in Texas.

We sure miss you here in WA. I can't wait to hear about more of your adventures in Texas.

summerk said...

I didn't know you were doing posts! Keep them coming!

Miss you!!!