Friday, December 19, 2008

Closing Day...or so we thought


To make a long story short.... we arrived at our new home at the arranged time, 10:00a.m., to do the final walk through and get the keys, etc. The moving company was prepared to be there the following day to move us in. It was all going to be perfect so we could have four days to get settled before Christmas Day. The door was open so we all walked in. The kids went tearing through the house squealing with delight as they found their bedrooms and looked over their new home for the first time. But, nobody came. Don made phone calls and we were told that Sotherby Homes (the builder)was having financial problems and that we would not be able to close today. They told us it could take months and could cost us even more $ down the road. We were sick. The kids had no clue what was going on until they found me crying in a corner of the house I thought was mine. It was devastating, but I still had hope that everything would be fine, that we'd be in before Christmas, that it would all work out. We went to the Title office to see what could be done. My Realtor was crying, I was crying, the Title lady was crying. Nothing looked good. It was awful. We checked back into the hotel hoping Sotherby might be able to do what they needed to do to be able to close on Monday. Don was ready to walk away and look at other homes. I was not. This was the home I already loved and decorated and moved into in my mind! I would not give up. Well, Sunday came and we fasted and prayed about what to do. We were to walk away and find something else. Hard to do, but so much easier once you received an answer to prayer. Don started looking at homes on the internet and he found an amazing home, even better than the one we lost, which I didn't think was possible. It was in a different city, but still good location for Don's work and proximity to the airport. Itwas Sunday, but the ox was definitely in the mire as we were homeless with only 3 days left 'til Christmas Eve. We left the kids at the hotel and went to look at this new home. It was incredible and the yard was the biggest one we'd seen since we started looking at homes! Things were looking up, but now came the realization that we would not be able to be in the home for Christmas. We would be spending Christmas Day in a hotel.

6 comments:

Tina said...

Please don't forget a picture of your new laundry room. ;)

Sarah said...

Wow Heidi...you have had a lot going on! What a bummer about your house...can't wait to see pictures of the new house though. I miss seeing you and your cute family around town. Thank goodness for blogs! :)

KENNARDS said...

thanks for updating your blog. i've been checking it almost weekly waiting for news from tx. have i mentioned we're a little jealous of your move? rich would love to end up back there (his home town is austin). can't wait to see the new home. you all look happy. hope things continue in a positive direction for you!
celeste

Randi said...

Wow, I can't believe how much you have been through. The fact that you are still sane and have a head on your shoulders and a positive attitude, is an inspiraton to us all. I'm glad that things have all worked out in the end, and that things are going well. You guys definitely deserve it! Your family is amazing. Don't forget to post pictures of your new house. I can't wait to see them! I Miss ya tons!

Alan and Brandi Cotton said...

Wow, Heids! WHen did you update? Did you do a marathon post or did I just totally miss it?

Crazy adventures you all had! Great job for getting it all in! I still need to post about my birthday, Alan's birtday, my trip to denver, and our trip to Dallas! I'm so behind!! At least I've got Dane pretty much covered! :)

Lila said...

i don't know if this picture is your new house or the one you missed out on but it's gorgeous! i love the 'breeze way' it reminds me of the wutkee compound. i can't wait to hear and see more... ;)