Monday, July 21, 2008

Sisters Forever



Last Sunday, July 20, 2008, my little sister, Ginger Dee Clinton, left this mortal existence and passed across the veil to the other side. That day was the hardest, saddest day of my entire life. I could have only imagined what it could be like to lose someone so close, someone you loved so much. Now I know. But, because of my knowledge of the Eternal Plan of Happiness, and my testimony that God lives and loves me, I made it through the darkest of hours into the light that He so willingly offers.

Sunday morning, I got up to get ready for church and received a phone call from my brother at 7:00 in the morning. It was the type of call you hope you'll never receive. He told me that Ginger was heading to the hospital in an ambulance and that it didn't look good, but that we needed to pray. Don was already at the church in meetings and all of my children were asleep. Needing some companionship, I immediately woke up my oldest girls, Ginger and Gillian, who were asleep on the couch from babysitting late the previous night. My daughter, Ginger could see how upset I was, so she immediately knelt beside me and offered to say the prayer. I called Don, who came right home, and we all said another prayer together. Even though we still hadn't heard the outcome, I knew in my heart that she was gone, and during that prayer, the peace that came over us was comforting and so real. We found out later that she had suffered a minor seizure, causing her heart to short circuit and stop. She basically just passed away in her sleep.

With 10 siblings, I was blessed with six amazing sisters and Ginger was the one just 2 years below me in age. We grew up doing everything together. We roller skated, rode bikes, played hopscotch and jumped rope, built forts, slept on the trampoline, shared a room, dressed like twins for fun, played "house" together, worked alongside my dad in his office as we goofed off in the back, etc....just did all the things you do with a sister. I have an exerpt in my journal that Ginger and I wrote together in our own journals, word for word, that we have read together over the years. It was about a "Happy Friendship" party that we threw for our dolls. We made a banner, and decorated our bunk bed and threw this elaborate party for our dolls, complete with cake and cookies. Many times, we have read that journal entry outloud together over and over and would laugh and laugh. A "happy friendship" is what we shared.


(I am handing Ginger her birthday cake on her first b-day with our 4 older siblings)


As kids, we spent hours and hours playing together, but I can't forget to mention the fact that there were MANY times when I wanted to play, but Ginger had her nose stuck in a book, with a bag of sunflower seeds at her side. She was the fastest reader and read every book in our house at least once, if not twice. I think that's where she got her smarts from. She was much smarter than I, her older sister. I would study my guts out, while Ginger could learn everything so quickly and remember it forever. So not fair. Ginger was the one I went to High School, Seminary, Youth Conference, Stake Dances and Girl's Camp with. You would think she would be glad that her older sister was with her so she wouldn't feel timid and shy, but it was actually the other way around. She was my little security blanket. I was shy and socially awkward, but Ginger was outgoing and confident and everyone loved to be around her. I remember being at dances where guys my age or older would want to hang out with her and dance with her because she was so little, so cute, and so cool.

We eventually went to a Young Adult Dance where she introduced me to Don, and actually told me prior to the introduction, "you have to meet Don Spangler, and you HAVE to marry him." She was obviously inspired. Ginge and I got to be next door neighbors at BYU, so she was there when I brought my first baby girl home from the hospital, named Ginger Dee Spangler. I remember her crying when she found out what we had named our baby. I had no idea at the time how much having a daughter named after her would mean to me. Ginger and I would just hold my newborn baby and stare at her for hours and hours, watching and waiting for her to make any expression.

As a young girl, Ginger and I, as well as our younger sisters and cousins, participated in a talent show at school where we lip synced and danced to the song, "When I Grow Up, I want to be a Mother". There were 7 or 8 of us little blonde girls, dressed in white shorts and pink T-shirts with the logo "Z Girls" printed on the front (Z stands for Zierenberg, our maiden name). I watched Ginger live that dream and become the most loving, wonderful mother to her four children, Erin, Jenna, Brady, and Holly. One thing I always noticed and loved about Ginger was that she truly enjoyed being a mother. She couldn't change a diaper without tickling, playing, and laughing with her babies, and she could literally sit on the couch for hours just talking to, or goofing off with her kids. She took the time to answer any silly question they asked and made sure they felt appreciated and loved. She loved her children with her whole heart and her greatest desire was to teach them the gospel of Jesus Christ. My friend sent a message about Ginger today and said, "those sweet little children are pumped full of Ginger" and it's so true. They are forever influenced because of her goodness and light. They not only look like her, but they are so smart, and funny, and full of love and a desire to do right, just like their mother. (oh yeah, and their dad, too!)



Ginger called me quite frequently for mom-type questions, or just simple homemaking advice. I will never forget just a few years ago when she called to ask questions about how to bake a cake...from a box! But, in the past couple years, she was passing me up quickly as she was bottling hamburger and butter, and baking in her backyard with her sun oven. She had a great desire to follow the prophet's counsel and have her family prepared for any future trials.

Over the past 3 years, living so far away from my family, I was blessed to be able to see Ginger so much. As hard as it is to lose my sister, it would have been 10 times harder if I hadn't seen her enough in the past few years. She was so great about just packing up her four kids, jumping on a plane and coming to visit. Don and I even had the opportunity to travel to Hawaii and Mexico with Ginger and Jason a couple times in the last 3 years, which are memories we will always treasure. This year alone, I had been able to spend so much time with her, first at our Annual Girl's Weekend with my sisters, then at the funeral of my grandmother, then our huge Zierenberg family reunion in May. And then, my little family also just spent 4 weeks in California, for my sister, Amber's wedding and to just enjoy time with family. I will forever be grateful for that time I got to be there, to stay in her home with her one last time, and to fill up my heart with fresh, recent memories.

That picture of us at the top is my favorite picture of me and Ginger. We took it just a few weeks ago, on the 4th of July. Two days after I returned home from our long trip to California, I was doing the dishes, thinking about how much I already missed my family, and this picture popped in my mind, and I thought to myself, go e-mail that picture to Ginger and tell her how much you already miss her and love her. I never got the chance to send it to her, and just 2 days later, she died, but I know she knew how much I loved her, and knows now how much I miss her.

Going home this past week for the Memorial Service was definitely the hardest thing I have ever lived through, but at the same time, I never knew that it could be as bearable as it was. What a tremendous blessing it was to be surrounded by my family and loved ones. Our entire family was being carried. Heavenly Father had sent the Comforter to be with us and it was remarkable the peace and assurance I felt in knowing that I would see my sister again, that we were a forever family, and that we would be all right. My older brother, Jason gave the eulogy and a beautiful tribute to Ginger that was so heartwarming and beautiful. My youngest sister, Wendy, shared memories and special stories about her that made us all laugh and cry. One of my favorite stories was about a campout that Ginger and Wendy took Erin and Jenna on just weeks before her passing. They were supposed to go at the end of the summer, but Ginger decided to just do it. We ALL were invited in the evening to make smores around the campfire and then we left as Ginger, Wendy, my mom and Ginger's girls stayed to spend the night. Wendy told of them sitting around the campfire melting plastic forks into cool shapes, and heard Erin proclaim, "This is the best night of my life!" That was Ginger's goal. She wanted to make a night that her girls would remember forever and now they have that memory to hold onto. At the service, my husband, Don, gave an inspired, uplifting talk about our Heavenly Father's Plan for us that touched the hearts of many, even those not of our faith. It was a beautiful service.

The morning of the funeral, Ginger's little 3 year old boy, Brady, asked his daddy if Mommy would be coming back home. Jason quietly replied, "no". Brady then asked, "Because Heavenly Father made her an angel?" Jason's answer, "yes". Then Brady quickly responded, "Because she likes to play in the snow!" If only we could have that childlike innocence and happy outlook on life.

Even though this has been the most difficult week to endure, we have been blessed to be able to see and recognize all of the tender mercies that Heavenly Father has bestowed upon us. Even in times of peril, His hand has cleared the path to make this trial as bearable as possible. These are just a few of the tender mercies we've noticed...
*Jason has been out of work for 5 months, but they chose to take the time to enjoy as a family instead of trying to find a job right away. And because they have been so blessed financially, Jason can still be at home with his kids for a while without hurrying back to work.
*My mom and dad shared lunch with Ginger and Jason in the temple just 2 days before she died.
*Ginger's oldest daughter, Erin(7), got tucked in by her mother the night before and talked with her about heaven and what a beautiful place it was. Erin even informed us that her mom didn't even know if they had food in heaven, but that now she knows.
*My youngest sister Wendy is able to stay and help Jason for the next month, which is a huge comfort to all of us.
*I said good-bye to Ginger exactly one week before she died, and will never forget her coming back for a 2nd good-bye hug, as we weren't going to be seeing each other for a few months.
There have been countless others. I literally could write books about Ginger and her fun-spirited personality, her vibrancy for life, her goodness and faithfulness, and her desire to serve and lift those around her. There were over a thousand people at her Memorial Service, which didn't surprise any of us. The world lost an amazing, beautiful women that day, but Heavenly Father needed her on the other side to do an even greater work. I will miss her so much, but will forever be changed for the good, because of knowing her. And, now after having gone through this experience, I have been given an eternal perspective that will help me each and every day of my life. It has given me a desire to love and live my life as though this were my last day on earth, an enhanced desire to enjoy and cherish my children and husband, and a willingness to serve more and share the gospel that Ginger so perfectly lived. But, most importantly, this experience has given me an increased determination to do all I can to follow my Savior so that one day I can make it back to my sister! I love you, Ginge, and will see you later!




For those of you didn't know my sister, you are welcome to get to know her a little better through her blog.... http://www.jasondgingerd.blogspot.com/
Her final post, which she posted the night before she died was entitled "happiness". How appropriate.

35 comments:

Tina said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us, Heidi. We love you guys and are glad you are home. My heart just aches for you and your family and especially your sister's cute family. I'm sure she misses them so. I didn't even know her, and yet she has inspired me to be a better mom. You have an awesome family....all of you are just so good!
I am so impressed with your perspective and how graciously you've accepted the Lord's will. You are in our thoughts and prayers. If you need anything, I'm here...I'd love to help.

Melanie said...

Heidi,

Thank you so much for the inspiring tribute to Ginger. I have been following through my parents there, but have cried many tears for your family. I have definitely been playing with my kids more this week and loving on them more. The idea that it all can end at any time is a hard one to grasp. My sisters, like yours, are my best friends. Thank you for sharing your tender feelings. You will be together again, what an awesome blessing to have that knowledge. Our prayers are with you and your whole family.

Melanie Minster

Kate said...

Forever sisters... That's what I keep reassuring myself of. Ginger is forever our sister. So glad to have the truth and the sweet comfort and peace it brings. Such beautiful, touching journaling you've done. Those deep dug feelings and memories bring upliftment and gratitude for our time with her here and time with her to come. I love you, Heids!

Anonymous said...

That was awesome Heidi. Definitely brought all my emotions back to the surface. Great insights and memories.

wendyann said...

I agree with Treves. Just when you think you're done crying.. you read something like that. It was so beautiful. Thanks Heids. Like Kate said, Sisters Forever! Love you! -wendyann

Paul and Natalie McB said...

What a beautiful and inspiring tribute to your sister, who is obviously an amazing person. I want to be a better person just having read about her. I am so sorry for your loss. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. You have no idea how many people are mourning for all of you, and have felt inspired by your sister's life. Thank you for sharing your beautiful words. Again, so deeply sorry for your loss.

DanaBratz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DanaBratz said...

LOVE you Heidi....wish I was there to give you a great BIG hug! This is beautiful.

Love ~ your cousin Amy

Randi said...

Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful words about your sister. I only met her once, but even then I thought she was someone special and so kind. Reading this blog had me in tears, but it was a great reminder of how I need to be living my life everyday. Your sister's life has inspired me. She sounds amazing which is probably why the Lord needed her. There is a tremendous work to be done, and I'm sure He needs "Amazing" people to help carry it out. I am so grateful for the Lord's plan, and for the knowledge that even when something tragic like this happens, there is still hope. How wonderful it is to know that we can all be with our families again! Heidi, you and your family, as well as Ginger's family are in my prayers. Your are such a shining example to me of faith, hope, and love, and for that I am truly grateful. Please let me know if I can help in anyway. And. thanks again for sharing those wonderful stories about your sister. Wow!

Williams Flyers said...

Heidi,
It was so good to see you last week. What beautiful and comforting words you have left about Ginger! She really was such a wonderful person and I know God will keep her busy with all the talents she has. My heart aches for you knowing how close you are to each other. I wasn't really prepared to be in her home and see her husband and children (I thought you said it was Jason-your brother's home). However, it was good to see how they are trying to carry on. What a beautiful family she has! I am so grateful that you are finding peace and healing. You are all in our prayers.
Love,
Marci

Kyle and Marci said...

Heidi and Family,
I love you all so much and I am so sorry for your loss. You are very strong and a shining example of faith. I loved reading about your sister and she has surely inspired me to be a better person. I pray that the Lord will comfort your family and your sister's family. Thank you for being a wonderful friend. I love you and I hope that your Ginger and Gilli are doing well. I miss them!
Hugs and kisses,
Monfredi's (Marci)

MEB said...

Heidi-
That was so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. I had a flood of memories as I read about your memories. You have always been such a good example to me. Ginger and I used to talk about how stalwart and faithful you are. You were such a great example to both of us in High School.
She has always looked up to you!
I remember stake dances and clearing the floor when the slow songs would come on. Before we could make it to the side someone had come and asked Ginger to dance. It never surprised me, she was so much fun to talk to and be around not to mention beautiful!
She was SO smart! I remember her finishing her homework in the cafeteria before school started. She whipped it out so fast and still got A's.
I am a better person for having known Ginger. I am forever changed because of her.
You are an amazing person. Thank you for sharing your strength and testimony with me. You and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love you-
Melinda

Unknown said...

Heidi,

This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing your feelings, they are inspiring.

Love you!

~trudy

Jenni said...

Heidi,
I haven't been able to put my thoughts and feelings into words yet. There are just to many.
You are so blessed to have a such special family. My life has been truely blessed knowing all of you. Ginger is an amazing person. I miss seeing her sweet smile and feeling her uplifting spirit. I can't imagine your sorrow; when I try it is overwhelming.
My testimony has grown so much over the last couple of weeks. I know without a shadow of a doubt that the Lord knows and loves each and everyone of us, and He wants us to be happy. I know that He sees the end from the beginning and He knows what we need. I have seen how the Lord tries tenderly prepare us to handle the trials in our lives. I see how Heavenly Father continually blesses us, even if we don't understand at the time.
Ginger's magnificent spirit has touched the lives of so many. I will be forever changed because of knowing her. I have a desire be a be a better wife and mother. To have more patience and find more joy. I will look deeper to see the Lord's tender mercies in my life. I will work a little harder everyday to be more like my Savior. I will hug just a little tighter and a little longer. Ginger's life has mad this world a better place.
We love you and your families. You are never far from our thoughts or prayers.
Love,
Jenni Matthews

Laura said...

Heidi,
I was so sad that I missed you at the funeral. I had to fly with Sarah back to Mesa. I wanted so much to give you a hug. I have been praying for your family and especially for you. I knew how close you were to Ginger. We all loved her so much. She made everybody feel like they were so important, even as a young girl. It was another of her many gifts. In such a short time on earth, she had such a great impact. What a blessing that you were all able to be together so often these last few months. We love you and will continue to pray for your and Gingers families. Laura Waite

Sarah said...

Heidi--

Long time no talk! Sometimes I forget that this fabulous Internet world can connect lots of old friends! It's me, Sarah Hansen of olden Moorpark 1st days. I got an email tonight from Mary Beth Henshaw (she's the only one from MP High I've managed to keep in touch with) and she told me about Ginger. That got me searching online and before I knew it I found a beautifully written article in the Moorpark Acorn newspaper about Ginger and Jason's sister's blog and then yours.

You look great! Your kids are fabulous! I only wish I could tell you that when my heart wasn't full of such sorrow for you and your family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Will you say "hi" to you family for me? I hope it hasn't been so long that I've been forgotten! My parents just got back from a mission in Nauvoo, IL. Jenny is married with 4 kids; Chris is married with 2 kids; I have 3 kids; Craig is still "looking!"

God be with you, Heidi. Especially in those moments when you feel like you don't have the strength to carry on. God be with you to carry your broken heart.

Your friend from long ago,
Sarah Hansen Southerland
sw_southerlands@yahoo.com
www.notanothersarah.com

:o)

Scatcat said...

I love that you all have these great blogs. It's inspired our family to do the same thing - you guys were always ahead of us :-) I enjoyed reading the blogs of your family and seeing the pictures, and the miracles that have taken place to ensure that everyone had time with Ginger and how well prepared (if that's possible) she was to leave this life. My heart breaks over and over for you guys, and her children, but like you said - her children were infussed with her love and spirit - what a blessing! I LOVED Don's talk, and was reminded what a cutie he is! I loved that everyone kept their sense of humor and that he found a great way to get the message across in such a visual way. I think of it often as I've gone through my days since. I said on Kathrine's blog, I am so inspired by you Zierenberg kids! You've all turned out amazing - you all married well, and are great parents. I love the pictures, and FUN you all have with your individual families, but also your extended families. It makes me want to try harder with my own kids and family. We'll never know how far Ginger's passing will reach, but I know many people will read these blogs and see how great you all are, and want to follow the example you have ALL set in your lives. Pass on my greetings to Don and the rest of you. You guys as always, are in our prayers.

Katrina Wutkee Held

BookwormMama said...

Heidi
I don't know if you remember me... I met you when Ginger brought me over to your little house in California quite a few years ago when Ginger and I both had Erin and Hannah as babies... we came over to your house to do some scrapbooking! :]
{You taught me all about how to burp a baby correctly and to let the baby sleep on her stomach if she wanted to! Such rebels you 'Z' girls! LOL} I loved seeing the closeness of Ginger and all her sisters. Ginger was a like a sister to me as I never had a sister and always wanted one.
I used some of your husband's remarks from the eulogy to share in my ward on Sunday about death and the hope we have in the gospel. I shared Ginger's picture and told her story to my ward... and let them be touched by such an extraordinary life as Ginger's. I just wanted you to know that here in Washington state Ginger's influence is still being felt...she is a special person...I love her and miss her and your tribute to her is just beautiful. Of course Ginger would be embarrased with all this attention but it is certainly well deserved. My heart aches for Jason and the kids... and our family is praying for them and for all of you and your loss. I know we have hope in the gospel of Jesus Christ... just know that even people you don't know are praying for you all!!

Love,
Stephanie "Parry" Coleman

jenbulkley said...

I didnt get a chance to see you when I was down. I saw everyone but you. I am indeed greatful for Ging. She was and still is a shining star. She is forever with us. You have a darling family. It was nice to see everyone. Your family carries an amazing spirit! Jennifer (Giles) Bulkley

SCRAPPNMOM said...

Hey Heidi, it's me Lisa! I found your blog the very day I found out about your sister. The internet scares me sometimes. You can find anyone these days. In this case it was a great thing! I am just so sorry for your loss. Your post was so beautiful. I sat here and cried and I hardly even knew her. What sweet memories you have of Ginger. It was evident that Ginger knew Heavenly Father's plan. We are so very lucky to have the gospel in our lives and know there is a plan for each of us. You and Don have a beautiful family. I can't believe how old your kids are now. Where does time go? You will have to keep in touch. Talk to you soon!

John and Laura said...

Thank you for your sweet testimony and the inspiring stories of your sister's life. I have been a more patient mother since reading about your sister.

You're family is in our thoughts and prayers. Love you!

K.B. said...

I enjoyed reading your tribute to Ginger. She really did love all you siblings! She talked about you every time I was with her. I loved the part about her with sunflower seeds. So true! She really is one of a kind. Thanks for letting everyone read your blog and see a little bit of her we didn't get to know. Take care.

Karey Richmond

Williams Flyers said...

Heidi,
I have good news. According to the book, "The Message", there is food in heaven. I am reading it again to bring me some peace. I hope you finding strength in the Lord. Call or write if you ever need me.
Love,
Marci

Us! said...

Heidi,

I posted this comment on your sister's blog too, but wanted to share with you as well. Thank you for sharing your beautiful testimony and the personal, tender mercies the Lord has shown your family (Jason and children and the Z family). I felt I had a tender mercy too having been able to chat with her via email just a few days before her passing. She is just a positive, joyful person. Her light and influence continue to radiate. After my father passed just less than two years ago, my family was able to recognize many of the Lord's tender mercies which allowed us to recognize that He has a plan for all of us and He takes those He needs when He needs them. I have often wondered what could be more important than a mother's influence upon her children, but KNOW that He knows all. Whether it is Ginger who has a greater work to do or that her passing is something for her family to learn and grow from I do not know, but am grateful to know the Lord is there and will provide the strength, comfort, courage, and peace needed to make it through. I am sure the Lord is pleased with how your family has already grown through this remarkable challenge. May your family continue to be looked over always by His loving mercy. Love,
Kimberly (Gibbs) Heinrich

Haro Family said...

I am so moved by your loving tribute to Ginger. How blessed she is to have you as her wonderful sister. You have been an inspiration to me--my testimony of the Plan of Salvation has been strengthened through your testimony. Yesterday I gave a talk in Sacrament Meeting about the Lord's tender mercies. I was so touched by your tribute that I quoted some of your entry in my talk. Your words touched the hearts of many in the congregation. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. I love you and your sweet family tons!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Heidi-

Your family is BEAUTIFUL. All of them...your children, your siblings, especially your sweet sister. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for your comment on my blog. My heart aches for your brother in law and his children. We all have a long road ahead of us, but in the end, like Neal A. Maxwell said, "The cavity carved by our pain will soon become the receptacle for our joy." My thoughts and prayers are with your family. I wish we didn't have to endure so much in this life...so much heartache. But I have every bit of hope that it will all be compensated for in the end. Please share my blog with whomever you would like. We are all truly brothers and sisters in the gospel. God bless.

Jason said...

Heids, I've read this several times. I love it! Thanks for helping keep Ginger alive for us.

Jason

Johnson Family said...

Heidi,

I'm so sorry to hear of Ginger's passing. It's been a very long time since I last saw her, but I have very much enjoyed getting to know her again as a wife and mother through her blog. Her influence has touched and inspired me to be a better wife and mother. I always loved reading all about the fun and special things she did with her family to remind them how much she loved them, and to create fun memories too.
I am also grateful for the relationship you and Ginger shared. I remember watching the both of you at church activities while growing up and admiring your relationship. I could tell you enjoyed being together. You included one another in your circle of friends, you supported one another, and you were kind to one another. I could tell you two were close and loved each other as sisters and friends.
Growing up in a family of boys I always wished I had a sister especially to have a relationship like you had with your sister Ginger.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and Ginger's little family as well.
Thank you again for your's and Ginger's examples.
Love,
Shannon (Rigby) Johnson

S.Miles said...

I know I should have left a comment a long time ago- but I've needed some serious pacing to get through everyones thoughts. I have loved getting to read your feelings about your sister and feel blessed to get to keep in touch with you! I feel like I know so much about you just from what I heard from Ging. Thank you for putting your feelings out there for us all to read. It has helped more than you realize!

SoCalSorensens said...

Heidi:
I was just listening to the audio CD of Ginger's funeral that your Mom gave me this weekend. It was perfect to be able to view her blogspot and then to view your family's blogspot as I listened to Wendy and Don speaking. We were on vacation when we heard the news and I was so sad to miss Ginger's services and to miss seeing you and your family.

Ginger had left a message for Richard the week before she passed over and I couldn't bring myself to erase it. Her voice was so sweet. Suffice it to say, Ginger has been a Christ-like influence in so many lives. She leaves a legacy of love and enthusiasm for life that will be embedded in the hearts of those of us who knew her and the hearts of generations to come. Isn't that what we all wish to be remembered for? Like your Mom says, "She graduated". She was doing things right. May we all strive to be more like her.

Thank you for always remembering us w/a Christmas card each year. It is truly one of my favorites. Someone has a fun sense of humor in your home! God Bless you and your extended family! You are in our prayers... XOXO ~Lisa Sorensen

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I was lead to your blog by natalie she said "You have to read it you'll be inspired" Inspired i was! Everything you have said about your sister i want to be for my family. So through you, your sister lives on. As a young mom, im often left feeling helpless and not guided. I always wished i had a sister to share my most dearest experiences with, Instead i got 4 stinky brothers but they will do. After reading your blog about her makes me know that i can be that, that i can live a christlike life and that its my new goal to try a bit harder be a bit more patient and love everyone the way god intended us to. Your sister will continue to live in the woman who read your blog and instantly have a desire to be more like her. Bless you, and love you. See you next time in in Washington.
Chelsea Kartchner

Jen O. said...

Hello Heidi,

I love your tribute to Ginger. I've read Kate's blog too and the relationships you all had with Ginger are so incredible. Your entire family is amazing! Todd & I are still in awe at the marvelous talk Don gave at Ginger's funeral. His words were so comforting and perfect.

We sat behind your Dad, Wendy, Jason and the kids in sacrament meeting today and listened to your Mom speak about how the gospel has blessed her life. She talked about a special experience she and Kate had in the temple on the Thursday before Ginger passed away. Your Mom's testimony really touched my heart. She's so steadfast and faithful, but I know you already know that!

Well, the spirit world has a new, beautiful "snow angel" - I'm sure she's doing great things there.

Our prayers are with your family. Love from,

Jen Overholt - Moorpark 1st Ward
(and friends w/ the Seay's)

Lila said...

hi friend. i suppose i can only say ditto to what everyone else has said. i'm grateful you and other family have been willing to share your thoughts and memories cause it helps us all to understand and keep focused on our own plan of salvation... tonight i had somewhat planned to feel sorry for myself in the things happening (or not happening) in my life but instead, I ventured to the Z blogs to cry my eyeballs out and giggle a little in a sweet and loving way. i love you heidi. i know it's been many years since i've seen you but you are also, a wonderful woman, wife, daughter, sister etc. thank you for your great faith and fortitude. love, lila (wutkee)

heather carlson said...

Heidi,
I don't know if you remember us, but we were in the ward in Moorpark with you for a bit, and I even played basketball with you once or twice. I've had what I call a "Ginger" day. I keep jumping from one blog to another of the Zierenbergs and I just had to tell you how moving and uplifting your testimony is. Ginger was and is incredible, you all are. I'm so glad to have been touched by all of you in this life.

heather said...

Heidi,
Melinda told me to check out your blog. It's amazing, and I admire your gift for writing. I loved reading your memories of Ginger. I think about her and her little family all the time. I constantly hear her laugh in my head. She was always so happy. Our family continues to pray for Jason and the kids everyday. Hope you're doing ok.
Love, Heather Bryce Moody